Social Security and Military Service

Jan 12, 2007

News & Links

America's Veterans


If you served in the military from 1940 through 1956, including attendance at a service academy, Social Security may credit you with $160 a month in earnings for military service from September 16, 1940, through December 31, 1956, if (1) you were honorably discharged after 90 or more days of service, or you were released because of a disability or injury received in the line of duty; or (2) you are applying for survivors benefits based on a veteran's work and the veteran died while on active duty. When you apply for Social Security benefits, you will be asked for your DD Form 214 or information about your reserve or National Guard service. For more information, visit the Military Service and Social Security website.